The days of the digital boys’ club are long gone. It’s the era of the “gamer gals” — women who are taking the gaming world by storm. An estimated 46% of American customers are women, according to the Entertainment Software Association. It’s clear that female gamers are a force to be reckoned with: They play some of the same games as their male counterparts but are also carving out a space for themselves in niche markets, like life simulation games. And with the rise of female gamers, comes the rise of supportive online communities where women can connect and conquer the virtual world together.
Ready to connect in human form? There are actually many conferences and events that are specifically focused on women in the gaming industry. Some examples include:
- Women in Games International (WIGI) Summit: This annual event is held in different locations around the world and brings together female game developers, industry professionals, and academics to share their experiences, insights, and ideas.
- Women in Gaming (WiG): This is an annual conference that takes place in London, it aims to promote gender diversity and inclusion in the gaming industry, and it features keynote speakers, panel discussions, and networking events.
- The International Game Developers Association (IGDA) Women in Games Special Interest Group (SIG) hosts events and meetups that brings together female game developers from around the world to share their experiences, discuss industry issues, and network with other female game developers.
- The Women in Games Job Fair: The Women in Games Job Fair is a yearly event that is designed to connect talented women with career opportunities in the game industry. The fair brings together female game developers, industry professionals, and academics to share their experiences, insights, and ideas.
- The Women in Gaming Festival: This festival brings together female gamers, industry professionals, and academics to share their experiences, insights, and ideas, as well as promote gender diversity and inclusion in the gaming industry.
Queens of the console
We know you’re wondering. Which game is the most popular of all?
With preferences as diverse as the women themselves, it’s hard to pinpoint the most popular video game. But some games that have been winning over the fairer sex include The Sims, where you can live out your wildest virtual dreams, Animal Crossing, for a chill and social virtual reality, Candy Crush, for a sweet and simple escape, Minecraft, for the creative builders, and Grand Theft Auto V, for the thrill-seekers.
Those are the trends, but the possibilities are endless. Whether you’re in the mood for building your dream life, solving puzzles, exploring open worlds, or just causing some virtual chaos, there’s something for everyone. Even you!